[opendtv] Re: Global warming - was A Station Group with a Future

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:20:19 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> Want something else to fret about in your free time? Another
> crises known as world dimming....somewhat akin to my memory,
> I suppose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/dimming_trans.shtml

Dale, on the contrary, this could be good news. The water vapor part,
more than the pollution part, of course. Because it shows that there are
clever built-in self-regulating mechanisms at work.

This dimming effect was actually reported widely after Mt Pinatubo
erupted in the Philippines in 1991. It supposedly cooled the planet for
a couple of years. But more to the point, if increased surface heat
creates more water vapor, and that water vapor then shields the planet
from the sun, that should counteract the heating effect.

If you can burn hydrocarbon fuels without creating pollution, just
mainly creating CO2 and H2O as is the case with perfect combustion, then
in principle the heating effects of the CO2 are countered by the cooling
effects of the water vapor from the combustion process as well as from
the warming oceans?

Removing the contrails after 9/11 caused bigger temperature variations
to occur throughout the day, the very same thing that global warming is
accused of doing.

There seem to be built-in mechanisms that accommodate even some degree
of human madness. And, in principle, why shouldn't this be the case? We
too are natural products of this ecosystem.