[opendtv] Re: Food for thought

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:12:40 -0500

As you've suggested, this may be beating a dead horse. I invested a lot of time, effort, and cajoling on this in T3/S6. When it sailed through T1, I was very happy. When it was killed, well, you can imagine my feelings.

My non-disclosure agreement prevents me from saying what happened in T3/S6, but I wasn't on the Executive Committee, so I can tell you what I was told. It was that, even at that late date, some powerful members of the committee felt that any change to the standard would be an admission of failure and would, therefore, throw the whole process open, which would be terrible. I don't know if that's what happened; that's what I was told.

TTFN,
Mark

Ron Economos wrote:
I hear what your saying, "If it's not in the specification,
it's not a bug".

IMHO, it's some fishy stuff. It's actually easier to
decode 720h rather than 704h. 720h matches the
output raster perfectly, while 704h requires that
the image is centered in the 720h output raster
(or at least you're supposed to). So there's an
extra step to decode 704h versus 720h. A decoder
that can do 704h but can't do 720h is totally
counter-intuitive. It's almost like they deliberately
tried to hose it up.

The ATSC's take on this is summarized in the
candidate specification for Annex A:

http://www.atsc.org/standards/cs_documents/CS-TSG-674r1.pdf

>From the proposed Table A3 "category" for 720h:

B: These formats were not included in the original Table 3 of Annex A of A/53, *but have been in use by broadcasters for several years without reported complaint*.
These formats are included in Table 3 of ANSI/SCTE 43 2005.

Here's the link for the SCTE reference:

http://www.scte.org/documents/pdf/ANSISCTE432005.pdf

Here in the Bay Area, some of the DTV stations are using
720h. KCSM-DT is 720x480 on their main channel and
KTSF-DT is 720x480 on both of their simulcast (but
different Chinese dialects) video channels.

KQED-DT (the big PBS affiliate) uses 528h on all 3 of their
SD channels when the main channel is HD. KKPX-DT also
has a 528h channel in their multiplex.

What's the holdup on the candidate specification? Is it
political (as you suggested previously), or is it due to
the fact that the AFD and bar data specification is still
in flux? If the candidate specification is never going to
happen, it should be removed from the ATSC website.

Ron