[opendtv] Re: Food for thought

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:55:45 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

> http://displaydaily.com/page/2/
>
> If this doesn't show the February 12 edition, go top the bottom
> and click "Previous" until you get it.

Seems like a reasonable column. However, the funny part is, "damned if
you do and damned if you don't."

Mr Cugnini makes the point that the "infamous Table 3" is not included,
so presumably it's okay to decode only, say, tall and skinny images 200
X 600 images transferred at 69.48 frames per second, interlaced.

I suppose the FCC could have stipulated "all MPEG-2 formats," or some
such, but it didn't, and I continue to contend that would have been
unreasonable. Just asking for sync-up problems.

Seems much like the aspect ratio debate. After all the pointless
yelling, what the Grand Alliance had suggested is what got implemented,
with the addition of legacy 4:3 and SD modes.