[opendtv] Re: FCC's spectrum plan gives broadcasters food for thought

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 17:04:45 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> THere were some marginal gains for Fox and CBS last
> season, although overall the networks still lost
> audience share again.
>
> Here is a good analysis:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/05/28/its-over-final-broadcast-primetime-network-ratings-for-2009-10-season/52692

Mixed bag. It looks like the supposedly "most coveted" demographic gave CBS and
Fox a big boost last season, compared with the previous year. That's 18-34, not
18-54, which may make it even more surprising.

I don't understand how one event, e.g. the superbowl, is being claimed as
making the difference from a significant increase in ratings to a big loss, for
the year. That's doesn't make sense to me. Let's not ignore the possibility
that if there were no super bowl, presumably CBS would have aired something
that was not a complete loser, right? Why assume the worst would replace this
one viewer magnet?

Also, NBC is said to have gained 4 percent among all viewers, yet they lost a
small amount in each of the demographic groups. How is that explained?

I don't have any trouble understanding why Fox and CBS do well. I already
opined on here that putting Jay Leno on prime time was a mistake for NBC.

Anyway, whatever the small variations, I would still like a credible
measurement of OTA viewership, one year on. In the Berlin market, they claimed
that among those who could receive DVB-T with an indoor antenna, there was an
increase in OTA viewership during the early days after transition. Maybe the
same is happening here? I would have trusted the Michael Powell FCC to give us
a good reading. Can't say the same now, by a long shot.