[opendtv] Re: FCC's spectrum plan gives broadcasters food for thought

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 07:39:59 -0400

 The only reason that broadcasters "appear" to have limited spectrum is
 that they wanted it this way. They WANTED to limit choice.

Not true. Take the days prior to cable. Maybe the existing broadcasters at the time didn't want more competition, but obviously there were newcomers that did want in. That's why UHF started, for example.

Sorry Bert. But this is true.

Yes, in larger markets independents have been able to survive on a few table scraps, but few if any create any content; they simply survive on retreads and movies. Thanks to the proliferation of UHF channels the necessary infrastructure was in place to support the addition of the Fox Network and a bit later the CW and My Network TV. Fox managed to grow to rival the big three. The others have struggled at best.

The opportunity existed when the FCC opened the proceedings for what became the DTV transition to ask for the ability to compete with the rapidly growing Cable industry. Instead, the NAB and major broadcasters chose to tie up the spectrum with HD, rather than developing a new infrastructure that could have offered at least 30 channels in every market including a few HD offerings.

THIS is fact.

 The reason that the MVPDs appear to have so much more spectrum is that
 they invested in the infrastructure to offer MUCH MORE choice than
 broadcasters.

Not true. Cable systems have continuous coverage, from 54 MHz to 900 MHz, because they do not need to share with anyone else (like taxicabs and airports) and they do not need to worry about interference zones caused by spatial distribution of markets. So yes, they had to invest on laying cable, which is why you should gladly pay those monthly fees. But OTA broadcasters wouldn't have that same luxury anyway. OTA means sharing the medium with other RF wireless devices and other RF transmitter sites.

This is only true TODAY, because the cable industry spent about $80 BILLION in two major upgrades of their infrastructure in the '80s and '90s.

From the NCTA website: http://www.ncta.com/About/About/HistoryofCableTelevision.aspx

Deregulation provided by the 1984 Act had a strong positive effect on the rapid growth of cable services. From 1984 through 1992, the industry spent more than $15 billion on the wiring of America, and billions more on program development. This was the largest private construction project since World War II.

AND

Also during the latter half of the decade, cable operating companies commenced a major upgrade of their distribution networks, investing $65 billion between 1996 and 2002 to build higher capacity hybrid networks of fiber optic and coaxial cable. These "broadband" networks can provide multichannel video, two-way voice, high-speed Internet access, and high definition and advanced digital video services all on a single wire into the home.

Nobody is saying that broadcasters could compete with 500 channels and Internet access. But THEY COULD have countered the growth of cable by investing in new infrastructure and content.

THEY DID NOT, choosing instead to leverage the investments being made by the cable industry, and later the DBS industry.

These are physical facts, Craig. They can't be misinterpreted in a credible way, for politically-motivated arguments. At least, not to engineers.

And the above are ECONOMIC FACTS Bert.

Broadcasters CHOSE a path to irrelevance, and have spent the past three decades milking their protected franchise while making the minimal investment to keep it going. The entire cost to stations for the DTV transition was less than $3 Billion, and this includes major production upgrades, not just the transmitters and towers.

 Broadcasters COULD have developed a digital infrastructure that
 offered FAR MORE choice that the ATSC system can deliver.

An example of going back to old false assumptions that cause you to draw false conclusions. Yes, there WOULD be a way for OTA broadcasting to be more spectrally efficient. It is called REGIONAL BROADCASTING. If you don't accept regional broadcasting, then you have no argument. (By the way, I have no objection to regional or national nets, which is why I support elimination of the national cap. And looking into DVB-T2.)

Not false assumptions. There is adequate spectrum to use at least half of the available channels in every market. Geographically isolated markets could offer even more channels.

But this cannot be done with the ATSC Big Stick infrastructure. It could have been done by investing in a new more spectrally efficient infrastructure using SFNs. End of Story.

Still, we have single-market TV here. So, when ATSC managed to offer 25 programs in this market, with easy room for 40 or more total, with the existing spectrum allocations, the FCC took only a few months to threaten to yank it away.

You are making my point.

 The problem is not that broadcasters offer a threat - they decided NOT to
 compete with cable and DBS, but rather to take advantage of that investment,

Yes, that argument, that you have presented many times, I can agree with. But I wasn't making the point that broadcasters are seeing MVPDs as a threat to them, Craig.

The threat to broadcasters is that they are losing the most important content franchises as the population has moved on to paying for content. It is the content oligopolies that decided to pull the plug on FOTA broadcasting back in the '80s, using their tight relationship with the politicians to flatten out the product life cycle curve for broadcasters so they could milk the franchise until it is no longer economically viable - we are rapidly approaching that point, which will likely happen some time during this decade.

I was making the point that MVPDs see OTA broadcasting as "cheating," because OTA broadcasters don't have to pay as much for the infrastructure they use. To me, the consumer, that just sounds like an excess of greed. FOTA has existed since day 1, exists in all developed nations, and certainly in this country, it is no threat to MVPDs. Therefore, MVPDs can relax.

MVPDs rightfully are concerned about collecting subscriber fees for what is supposed to be a FREE OTA service. But this is mostly just posturing, as the steady increase in the cost of content has allowed them to increase the cost of MVPD service at a rate far higher than inflation.

What the MVPDs are growing concerned about is that so much money is on the table now that it is becoming possible to offer economically attractive alternatives to cable. And when this happens, the content oligopoly can cut out almost all of the middlemen.

Broadcasters are only a competitive issue today in terms of selling local commercial inventories. And cable has a very strong technical and economic advantage in this area, which is why money is moving from local broadcasters to the companies that insert ads in cable programming.

 The complaints about FOTA are based primarily on the tremendous waste of a
 very valuable public resource

Personally, I think the Grand Canyon is a tremedous waste of a precious resource, because I want to build condos there and they won't let me. Waaa waaa.

Personally I think you are secretly working for the NAB.