[opendtv] Re: FCC's spectrum plan gives broadcasters food for thought

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 17:21:31 -0700

Are studies available that accurately measure (relatively so at least) the percentage of households, by market, that are not using OTA? The fact that a household is an MPVD subscriber does not rule them out as users of OTA services. Unless such data are available, much of what we hear on the subject is very subjective, depending upon who is providing the info. I do know that the LA area has a significantly high percentage of OTA viewers and I'm told that several west coast cities, such as Seattle and Portland, also have high numbers, but that is unverified.

You can't have it both ways. If it's true that 90 percent of US households are addicted, and the number is increasing, I'd say the price of the drug should go higher. As long as FOTA exists, and that choice has increased OTA with the digital conversion, people have an out. If they aren't taking that out (and I'm not convinced, by the way), then the price of the walled garden access can go higher.

You do have an out, in Gainesville. Take it. My brother-in-law, who recently moved to Florida and lives between Orlando and Daytona Beach, has *no* viable OTA options. He's 40 miles from the one Ocala station, and 60+ miles from Daytona Beach. And nothing at all any closer. Amazing.