[opendtv] Re: FCC's spectrum plan gives broadcasters food for thought

  • From: Ron Economos <w6rz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 08:09:44 -0700

I don't think OTA digital television will go virtually extinct
like steam locomotives. My guess is that OTA television
will end up where it started, on VHF channels 2 thru 13.

I do like the dieselization analogy. Diesel locomotives
started appearing in numbers around 1939, but due
to wartime production limits, it wasn't until 1945 when
railroads stopped buying steam locomotives. By 1960,
almost all steam locomotives were scrapped or retired.
15 years to essentially replace a technology.

Likewise, MPEG-2 was introduced in 1994 and pretty
much replaced all other television delivery technologies
by 2009. Again, 15 years.

How long for IPTV to take over?

Ron

On 6/28/2010 8:54 PM, Richard C. Ramsden wrote:
Bert's wife should be asking why broadcasters get billions of dollars worth of spectrum for free.

Obama did NOT win because of television.  The age of TV is over.
It's all about spectrum. The FCC is offering a way for broadcasters to gracefully die.

For an historical perspecitve look up Baldwin Locomotive. A company that was very good at making it's product...

On 6/28/2010 3:25 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

It might help Bert understand what's happening here,
I've understood from the start, Craig.

The Genachowski FCC has been trying to bribe FOTA stations into exctinction. They have supported MVPDs, even in cases where apartment complexes hide the subscription fee into their rent.

What's so hard to understand? My wife asks, why aren't people being told all of this? The average joe is clueless about this.