[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:31:10 -0800

It's truly incorrect that multipath is much of a problem with current
set-top boxes from a wide number of vendors.  These are the boxes that will
be bought by those that need them.  There was much problem with earlier
sets, which were bought by "early adopters" who complained -- and correctly
-- widely.

It's also truly incorrect that multipath causes digital pictures to look
worse than analog broadcasts.  With digital, you either get the signal or
you don't; there is no grainy pictures.  Sometimes, there can be a drop out
that causes a picture to jumble up for a moment or three.  This is so bad
that the pictures are unusable.

I'd truly recommend that you buy a converter shortly before you need one,
and only after you have seen the unit in operation at a home near yours.

The good news is that the multipath problems are largely confined to urban
locations where there are strong signals and many reflections from
buildings.

For the most part, if you can get good analog reception now, you will be
able to get crystal-clear digital reception.  Indeed, if the broadcaster is
at full power, you should be able to get digital reception where you cannot
now get usable analog.