[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 23:35:54 -0500

On 11/17/06, John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Doubtful.  See other comments about reception in his apartment made over
the last few years by Mark Schubin."

Your situation is nothing like Mark Schubin's. Indeed, in a previous post, I
accounted for his apartment.  High signal levels, many building reflections.
 Buses going up and down the street, much urban RF.

Your situation is different.

It's possible that no digital TV service can reach Mark's apartment.  The
COFDM proponents have been too chicken to try when they've had the chance.
Not so for ATSC proponents.

Utter BS! No one has had the chance of putting a COFDM signal on
Mark's apartment. We could broadcast with a 100 Watt transmitter
toward Midtown but there was no way to get a decent signal north of
there do to Midtown. But Mark is in the shadow of the Empire State
Building where 8-VSB has ERP's near a MegaWatt.

Let me have a 100 Watt transmitter on the Empire State Building and I
will show COFDM reception over most if not all the city including
Mark's apartment. Not afraid of ever going head to head with 8-VSB.
8-VSB on the other hand has been terrified of ever getting in a fair
test with COFDM in the US or Canada.

Bob Miller

In my situation, using a MyHD-130 receiver, I cannot get signals very well
when I'm close to the transmit sites.  This involves two receive locations,
one in urban Tijuana, the other in suburban San Diego (with a clear line of
sight to the tx sites I cannot get.)  That is sub-optimal; but I've yet to
try a fifth gen unit.