[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "Gregory J. Ward" <gregoryjward@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:03:03 -0800

Thanks for the corrections. Clearly, I hit a nerve with my ignorant comment. My information is obviously out of date, having only read an article or two from a year ago (at least). As long as I don't suffer a loss in reception quality, you'll hear no complaints from me. I'm definitely in the "late adopter" crowd, and probably don't belong on this list. I was just responding to some comments on HDR display, which I do know something about, but that thread was so stale that no one replied.

-Greg

From: "Gary Hughes" <ghughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: November 17, 2006 2:37:15 PM PST

Gregory J. Ward wrote:
I've heard that digital HD broadcasts as they're currently deployed
have lots of trouble with multipath, and in fact look worse than
standard resolution analog broadcasts.  I'm all in favor of broadcast
if the results are nice.  What I'm not keen on is buying a converter
to get lousy reception when what I had was fine before.

Not so. It is mostly an all or nothing effect. If you get the picture it
comes in beautifully. Where I live, about 35 miles NW of Boston, I do
not get a watchable picture on any analog UHF channel, but I get all the
Boston area DTV signals with an antenna in the attic.

And comparing the OTA picture to the same service carried on cable (and
transcoded down to 15mbit/sec), the OTA picture quality is noticeably
better.

gary