[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:11:20 -0500

Gregory J. Ward wrote:

> I've heard that digital HD broadcasts as they're currently
> deployed have lots of trouble with multipath, and in fact
> look worse than standard resolution analog broadcasts.

Whoa Nellie!

I trust you don't believe this nonsense. The multipath that affects
reception in older ATSC digital broadcasts has NOTHING to do with the
picture quality per se. The picture, if received at all, is "perfect."
Noise free, sharp as a tack. Excessive multipat will make the receiver
drop sync, however. The newer receivers are a lot better, and will
continue to improve.

I watch ATSC exclusively now, for instance. I can tell you categorically
that the picture and sound are much, much better than analog TV.
Although with indoor antenna and 3rd gen receiver, which we use in the
smaller upstairs system, my wife does complain that "I never had to aim
the antenna before." AAAARGH, I tell her. That's what the naysayers say
on OpenDTV!!

I actually had an interesting experience at a Best Buy two weekends ago.
The salesmen said that they had been watching the game over ATSC,
because the quality of HDTV over the air was much better than what their
cable feed was giving them. Amazing. I wonder if they advertized to
their clientele at the time that this great picture was taken OTA, for
"free."