[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 22:36:32 -0500

John Willkie wrote:

"Doubtful. See other comments about reception in his apartment made over the last few years by Mark Schubin."

Your situation is nothing like Mark Schubin's. Indeed, in a previous post, I accounted for his apartment. High signal levels, many building reflections. Buses going up and down the street, much urban RF.

I believe Mark Schubin has said several times he gets reasonable apartment NTSC reception with rabbit ears on top of his set.

Your situation is different.

SO WHAT?
We have a replacement for NTSC that does not seem to work in many different situations.

It's possible that no digital TV service can reach Mark's apartment. The COFDM proponents have been too chicken to try when they've had the chance. Not so for ATSC proponents.

In my situation, using a MyHD-130 receiver, I cannot get signals very well when I'm close to the transmit sites. This involves two receive locations, one in urban Tijuana, the other in suburban San Diego (with a clear line of sight to the tx sites I cannot get.) That is sub-optimal; but I've yet to try a fifth gen unit.

John Willkie

Sigh.
I have a DirecTV HD receiver, model H-20. It is the latest, greatest they make. It works better than any of the eight others I have tried. I think the ATSC portion of this receiver is fifth generation. Not certain where I read this, may have been here or Audiokarma? Still can't get clear, steady pictures without occasional breakups. Just not acceptable to me.