[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "Gregory J. Ward" <gregoryjward@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:54:55 -0800

John Shutt wrote me a very nice explanation and background to introduce me to the issues I didn't know about, such as the auctioning of bandwidth to raise money for the gov't.

I've heard that digital HD broadcasts as they're currently deployed have lots of trouble with multipath, and in fact look worse than standard resolution analog broadcasts. I'm all in favor of broadcast if the results are nice. What I'm not keen on is buying a converter to get lousy reception when what I had was fine before.

-Greg

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: November 17, 2006 1:40:06 PM PST

Gregory J. Ward wrote:

I'm new to this discussion, but why do we even need digital
broadcasts? What's wrong with requiring people who want HD
to get cable?

"Let them eat cake."

The real question is, why do we need cable to distribute broadband
one-to-all communications, when this is more efficiently done without
any cables?