[opendtv] Re: DVB-T receiver at $33/pcs !

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:23:48 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>MOST manufacturers NEVER even started to show or to
>>actually produce 8-VSB receivers while MANY
>>manufacturers started and do enthusiastically make
>>COFDM receivers. Starting back in 1999 to this day
>>the response has been and will be the same from most
>>of these manufacturers to the suggestion that COFDM
>>could be used in the US. OH MY GOD!!!
>>

>Sorry, Bob, but none of this makes a lot of sense.
>
>If these guys want to do business in the US, they have
>to use 8-VSB. Just like they have to accommodate the
>6 MHz channel width and the 115 V 60 Hz power grid.
>
>If they don't know how to make 8-VSB demods that work
>well, they can always go to the increasing number of
>manufacturers who have figured this out. They don't
>need to reinvent the wheel. Just incorporate chips that
>have already been developed and debugged.
>
>Bert

Above channel 51 you do not have to use 8-VSB. You can use COFDM and you
can do broadcasting just like is done below 52. As these channels become
available between now and 2009 you will see incredible interest in doing
just that with a plethora of COFDM receive devices.

Bert, as long as we are using 8-VSB most manufacturers don't want to do
business here unless of course there is one big buyer that will take
delivery and accept responsibility for the units as ordered. None of
them including LG thinks there is much of a market for 8-VSB STB's in
the US.

On the other hand I believe that most manufacturers are, certainly have
been in the past and will be extremely interested in the US as an OTA
STB market IF we are using COFDM.

If that doesn't make sense to you I understand why. You do not want to
believe that there is any difference in the real world between the two.
As the future unfolds this will make what is happening here and in the
rest of the world ever more confusing. That part of the OTA spectrum
where COFDM can be used in the US above channel 51 will blossom with
services while those channels below will languish in do nothings ville.
After some appropriate term of mourning Congress will find a way to pay
off broadcasters and sell this spectrum for use by others using COFDM or
some even better modulation. Sooner than most of us suspect IMO.

In the meantime the rest of the world will use their OTA spectrum with
COFDM and incredible growth will continue.

It will be very difficult to understand so just take a deep breath and
enjoy the ride.

Bob Miller