[opendtv] Re: DVB-T receiver at $33/pcs !

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 13:32:32 -0500

And what would be the price if you picked up the phone and started
actually bargaining with them? Say 10,000 units a month with a two year
commitment. How much would an MPEG4 AVC decoder add to the cost? Why
should the 6 MHZ tuner cost more, don't they have a 6,7,8 Mhz
capability? How much do you think they would cost for the second
contract? Probably $25 or less.

You would give them away with a subscription service and share the cost
with other stations in the market. Basically what we proposed to do in
1999. Your cost per receiver maybe $7. Still would like to do this. Take
this proposition to the public and lay it all out and I think you win.
More competition for cable and satellite would be a big part of the
pitch. The need for broadcasters to use MPEG4 to compete with cable and
satellite is your opening argument. If that switch is agreed to then you
can suggest the opening up of the modulation to re-consideration. Heck
they can reconsider an advanced 8-VSB along with the various flavors of
COFDM.

With MPEG4 you could still deliver HD or ED and how many would know the
difference if it was 480P? Especially if you switched both to MPEG4 and
COFDM. Maybe the Chinese DMB-T will be ready in time for this.

Of course you would be accused of trying to delay the transition but
with the delay we have had for the last six years I think you win that
one to.

I would be interested in more info.

Bob Miller