[opendtv] Re: DVB-T receiver at $33/pcs !

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 17:25:50 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> In talking to manufacturers about making 8-VSB receivers
> the first words out of their mouths are (paraphased) "Do
> you really think that there is some kind of market for
> this in the US???"

Exactly. What's truly weird about this is that both you
and John S think that switching to COFDM would change
their opinion.

> > It all stems from the same notion -- that no one in the
> > US bothers with OTA TV. So who is feeding the marketers
> > and bean counters this stuff? Could it be they are
> > spending way too much time reading this list?
>
> No I would suggest that most of them have a decent dose of
> common sense.

Which must explain why the Accurian boxes sold out in a
flash once word of mouth got out that they were good, and
the price dropped to below $100.

By the way, just saw some Silvania STBs at Best Buy, for
$229. I don't know if they're any good, but they too had
no timer in them, nor were there any DVDRs with built-in
ATSC for sale. The price should by now be in the $129
range for STBs, because $229 is the same as last year at
this time. I'm sure that the extension of analog shutoff to
2009 won't help, in this regard.