[opendtv] Re: DVB-T receiver at $33/pcs !

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:46:08 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

> > Note however that LG said they could sell their ATSC
> > STB for $50 retail, didn't they?
>
> Motorola and NxtWave also said their 2nd-generation chips
> eliminated multipath problems.

True, their 2nd gen boxes failed to perform as promised,
but the promise was kept finally, by Linx. So it's not like
this never happened or was just pie in the sky. The glitch
amounted to about a 2 year lag in meeting this promise,
certainly NOT helped by the uncertainty in what DTT
standards we would adopt. Basically, 2001 was wasted. So
the NxtWave promise of 2000 was met in early 2002 in the
lab, and in 2003 as an integrated chip.

> And, if I recall correctly, when LG demonstrated their
> 5th-generation circuitry in April 2003, they said they
> expected it to be in products by the end of that year.

I thought they promised samples only by the end of 2003?
Anyway, their product was in fact in stores in 2004. Too
bad it was only integrated in expensive TV sets.

My take is a little different from yours. In this
transition, what gets done is never done in the way I would
have expected. The unavailability of STBs is one example.
TV stations shutting down analog transmitters prematurely,
figuring they have no OTA viewership, is another example.

It all stems from the same notion -- that no one in the US
bothers with OTA TV. So who is feeding the marketers and
bean counters this stuff? Could it be they are spending way
too much time reading this list?