[opendtv] Re: DVB-T receiver at $33/pcs !

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 23:53:48 -0800 (PST)

What BestBuy website calls the "Funai 6900DKU" must be the Funai/Sylvania
6900DTE,
thus far the one and only STB with the EIA/CEA-909 Smart Antenna Interface.
I've seen slightly lower prices at amazon.com and sams club.

I posted a review in "5th Gen ATSC Receiver" HDTV Hardware thread on avsforum
re Sylvania STB controlling DX DTA-5000 Smart Antenna.  It was about as
effective as a 4-Bay antenna.
ATSC Decoder is 4th Gen ATI NXT2004.  It has DVI, but otherwise is bare bones,
no NTSC, no QAM.

The first DD5.1 (both Optical and Coax) on the first two STB's from amazon.com
did not work correctly, so I returned them.  The third STB I sent to Funai for
repair, they sent me an email claiming that they had confirmed that there was a
problem with DD5.1 and subsequently sent me the "fixed" STB.  It still doesn't
output DD5.1 correctly.  My Sony Surround Receiver's idiot lights act as if it
correctly detects DD2.0 or DD5.1, depending on the received program, but no
sound is ever heard.  Same thing using either Optical or Coax DD5.1 input on
Creative Extigy.  It's about time to follow up one more time.....
                                 <holl_ands>

/////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

> In talking to manufacturers about making 8-VSB receivers
> the first words out of their mouths are (paraphased) "Do
> you really think that there is some kind of market for
> this in the US???"

Exactly. What's truly weird about this is that both you
and John S think that switching to COFDM would change
their opinion.

> > It all stems from the same notion -- that no one in the
> > US bothers with OTA TV. So who is feeding the marketers
> > and bean counters this stuff? Could it be they are
> > spending way too much time reading this list?
>
> No I would suggest that most of them have a decent dose of
> common sense.

Which must explain why the Accurian boxes sold out in a
flash once word of mouth got out that they were good, and
the price dropped to below $100.

By the way, just saw some Silvania STBs at Best Buy, for
$229. I don't know if they're any good, but they too had
no timer in them, nor were there any DVDRs with built-in
ATSC for sale. The price should by now be in the $129
range for STBs, because $229 is the same as last year at
this time. I'm sure that the extension of analog shutoff to
2009 won't help, in this regard.