[opendtv] Re: Content picture fuzzy for latest HDTVs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:02:19 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Yes Bert, THIS IS the issue here. HD is becoming the primary
> driver of subscription TV.
>
> You may get loads of channels, but I doubt you get more than
> five different programs in HD at any given time.

HD tends to be the primary channel of the major networks, except for
MNT, so I think you're one short. In any case, of course, this is
entirely up to the broadcasters. It's not hard to fit two HD channels in
one multiplex, so there's nothing stopping local broadcasters from
transmitting a second HD stream along with their prime time HD show. The
local affiliates of the major networks tend not to use their multiplex
capacity very effectively anyway.

And since all OTA receivers can decode the HD streams, the extra
bandwidth required for this is not that much. Unlike cable and DBS, who
have to simulcast HD.

So with 15 multiplexes, I could receive 30 HD programs, with no more
than 6 of these being duplicated. Not half bad.

The independent stations and PBS tend to be the ones that do a lot of
multicasting, so they would be more likely to transmit at most one HD
program per multiplex.

*And* all of this is while analog is still cluttering up the spectrum.

> You, and many other pundits, keep saying that consumers do not
> want STBs. But the reality is that at least half of the homes
> in the U.S. use them.

It's likely that half of US homes have residents who suffer from
occasional constipation, but that doesn't mean they want to!