[opendtv] Re: Content picture fuzzy for latest HDTVs

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:04:16 -0500

At 11:01 AM -0500 1/17/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

And what makes you think that third parties aren't perfectly capable of
developing PVRs that work for cable or DBS reception?

I'm not certain of the relevance of this answer to the thread, but i agree that third parties can make PVRs.

 Now how many "different" HD channels can you get off the air
 Bert?

I get loads of channels, Craig, and each one can transmit at least one
HD stream whenever they want. But that's not the issue here. The issue
is simply that CONSUMERS don;t generally want to have to depend on
rented STBs, but they are forced to, and they timidly buckle under like
there's no recourse.

Yes Bert, THIS IS the issue here. HD is becoming the primary driver of subscription TV.

You may get loads of channels, but I doubt you get more than five different programs in HD at any given time.

You, and many other pundits, keep saying that consumers do not want STBs. But the reality is that at least half of the homes in the U.S. use them. And the addition of a PVR has turned what was once a liability for the cable guys into an asset - consumers really love the PVR feature of newer cable and DBS boxes.

And ANY WAY you cut it, adding a PVR or recordable DVD p[layer to your TV is still a STB.

Will people like having these features integrated into their TVs?

Perhaps.

But, it will depend primarily on how well they work, the quality of the GUI, and what can be accessed. Most people when shopping for a new TV are interested in "the best picture." adding new variables like a PVR and an Internet walled garden only complicate the purchase.

All this could change if dowwnloading video from the Internet is viewed by consumers as a REPLACEMENT for broadcast TV, whether it comes via an antenna, dish or a wire.

To answer your question directly, I now receive 15 DTV multiplexes here.
Some of these carry as many as 5 subschannels. Most of them carry 1 HD
channel at least some of the time.

EVEN IF some of these are repeats, the sunchannels are NOT. So if teh
broadcasters wanted to, in this market, we could have a DTT system that
easily provides more choice than just about any other.

You are uniquely located between two markets Bert. This does provide some additional choice, but it also provides significant duplication.

Currently only the five broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and PBS are offering HD content some of the time. Do you have any independents in those 15 channels that are offering HD content at ANY time?

I currently get 11 channels that are in HD 24/7 and five more that are in HD some of the time. And this is a small selection compared to DirecTV and DISH.