[opendtv] Re: Case for 720p60

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:40:53 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> But all of this was known back in the early '90s when we worked on
> the standard. The only thing that has changed is that everything
> we predicted has come to pass. I am particularly amused by the
> comment that in 2010 it is "a progressive world." What is lacking
> here is any discussion of the fact that most folks are still
> watching, and most stations are still broadcasting interlaced
> SDTV...

Hmmm, not quite. What has been happening, as many predicted and you often
disagreed, is that most productions are trending to HDTV. Doesn't matter what
the content. Now you see HDTV even during much of non-prime-time, for sports
certainly, but also for sindicated programming, for those "magazine"-like
shows, e.g. Entertainment Tonight, for reality TV, for network news, and
increasingly even for local news. CBS 9 here in DC made the switch to local HD
news quite awhile ago. It was the first here to do so. Progressive vs
interlaced is a side discussion.

Strangely enough, I noticed that two new converts to HDTV, WHUT (PBS from
Howard University) and Univision, decided at this very late date to go 1080i. I
don't know how these things work, but could it be that they are using used
1080i gear from other stations? For example, WETA switched over from 1080i to
720p at some point. Maybe WHUT got their 1080i stuff?

Eons ago, before HD was commonplace, some people made the point that even
though HD at the times was very expensive, that was not its future. The future
was HD for the masses. And it did become that way, certainly by the mid-2000s.