[opendtv] Re: Case for 720p60

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:14:59 -0400

At 10:20 AM -0700 4/16/10, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm sure many have seen this and there isn't anything in the report that hasn't already been discussed on this site, but I thought I would send it out anyway:

Executive HDTV Report-
Fighting for M/H and 3D Dollars:
Why 720p60 may rise again

Available at: <http://www.coax.tv/>http://www.coax.tv/

An interesting read with some solid logic.

But all of this was known back in the early '90s when we worked on the standard. The only thing that has changed is that everything we predicted has come to pass. I am particularly amused by the comment that in 2010 it is "a progressive world." What is lacking here is any discussion of the fact that most folks are still watching, and most stations are still broadcasting interlaced SDTV...

While the logic behind the article makes perfect sense, there is one VERY BIG caveat:

Getting rid of 1080i appears to be predicated on a successful launch of the MH service.