[opendtv] Re: Case for 720p60

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:24:09 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> The first is a fairly detailed 1920x1080p image.  See:
>
>  <www.trbarry.com/spring_2008_1920x1080.jpg>
>
> The second image is the result of using Irfanview to scale
> this down to 856x480 and then scaling back up again to
> 1920x1080 to match what your 1080p TV might display.
>
>  <www.trbarry.com/spring_2008_1920x1080_from_856x480.jpg>
>
> It of course has visibly less detail than the 1080p image.
>
> The third image is the result of scaling the first 1080p
> image all the way down to 704x480 and then scaling back up
> again to 1920x1080.  See:
>
>  <www.trbarry.com/spring_2008_1920x1080f_from_704x480.jpg>

> Anyway, apart from that, what does everyone think?  Would
> you pay much extra for 856 vs 704 wide?

Nice! I'm toggling between among the three pictures, on a 1680 X 1050 display,
set to 1680 X 1050 in my display setup, and viewed up close. The three images
are exactly superimposed, using three tabs on IE8, so there's no shifting of
eyes between images. And I'm focusing on whatever it's called in the middle of
the central flower, with little tentacles and black dots on the tips.

Since my display is only 1680 X 1050, the goodness of the 1920 X 1080 image
will obviously be muted somewhat. I'd say subjectively, though, that the 1920 X
1080 image is still more of an improvement on the second image than is the
difference between the lesser two images.

But let's get back to reality here. The 704 X 480 SD stream, in a typical ATSC
multicast, would be bit starved, as most SD subchannels are. So you wouldn't
expect to see the ultimate quality anyway. I'm still wondering whether 704 X
480 at 60p can be sent at the same low bitrates that are now being used for 480
at 60i. And you would need to use 60i or 60p for sports, anyway.

Sure would be nice if broadcasters started transmitting their SD multicasts as
16:9 anamorphic, though. I know that some of that material was shot widescreen,
certainly in the US and the ThisTV multicasts.