[opendtv] Re: Case for 720p60

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:45:18 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

> I live in about as perfect of an environment as one can hope for
> ATSC: line of sight to the transmitting antennas, open valley,
> few reflections.  It doesn't work on the lower floor at my house.
> I had to install an outdoor antenna.

I remembered those articles by Charles Rhodes, on IM3. Could that be the
problem? If you have close by transmitters and are trying to receive a somewhat
weaker signal from a more distant or lower power transmitter, the
intermodulation products may be less than 15.2 dB down compared with the signal
you want?

If that's a problem, it's really a receiver design problem, exacerbated by the
US habit of distributing transmitter towers hither, thither, and yon. I think
receivers need to have tracking front ends and dual IF stages. Most probably
don't. The outdoor antenna might get a strong enough desired signal to overcome
this?