[opendtv] Re: Case for 720p60

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:39:51 -0400

At 10:47 AM -0500 4/20/10, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
I think it's unnecessary to whine about formats like 854 X 480, for example. Even if it would be nice to have all receivers decode that properly, what difference does that make? Would it add something strkingly different compared with 704 X 480? It would give us nice square pixels for the 16:9 aspect ratio, but honestly, WHO CARES anymore? Who cared even 10 years ago?

It would depend on the source. If the source were HD and you were to downconvert to 720 x 480 (anamorphic) side by side with 854 x 480 (square pixel) I think you would be able to see the difference. Would it be dramatic...

Perhaps not.