[opendtv] Re: Case for 720p60

  • From: Kilroy Hughes <Kilroy.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:42:58 +0000

[CB] If the source were HD and you were to downconvert to 720 x 480
(anamorphic) side by side with 854 x 480 (square pixel) I think you would be
able to see the difference. Would it be dramatic...

It's significant (dramatic?) assuming you are viewing on a flat panel at
1920x1080 square progressive, and the 854x480 wasn't "flicker filtered"
assuming an interlaced display.
You pay twice subsampling and filtering to more difficult anamorphic NTSC
sample shape, and back again, in addition to fewer samples.
Preprocessing for CRT display is a separate issue, but in practice it tends to
follow the sample shape.

If someone is watching on an NTSC display, neither I nor they care.

Kilroy Hughes