[opendtv] Re: CBS Color without a wheel?

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 02:56:56 -0500

More...

I should finally mention that today's DLP color sets are field sequential color at about 300 to 360 fields per second.
I have a small DLP projector that I cannot see the flicker on.

I will never get to own an original CBS sequential set because they are quite valuable, going for from $10,000 to $15000 depending on how much the owners value them.

With that in mind I set out to build my own set using a B&W PC monitor and modern solid state logic circuitry. While it is still a bare bones set and needs a cabinet for acceptable display it makes really beautiful, deeply saturated color pictures.

This is because the color gamut is even greater than that of original NTSC phosphors in the 15GP22.

Here's a screen shot of my set in the early breadboard stage.

Cliff