[opendtv] Re: CBS Color without a wheel

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 00:06:59 +0100

> Gamma correction is used to adapt to the non linear response of the
> > human eye.
> No.  It was actually intended to compensate for the non-linear
> characteristics of CRTs (although the eye DOES have a non-linear
> characteristic, too).

Er...Agreed. Sorry, this kind of confusion keeps lurking in a corner of
my head, possibly since i've read in several places that the human eye
response is close to the inverse of the CRT's (and so would cancel it
out).

But indeed the better view is that the camera precompensate for the CRT,
so that the same linear light gets into the sytem at one end , and is
reproduced a the other, and the eye can perform its stuff on it, just as
on a real view. So in fact the behavior of the eye in that regard does
not really matter.

I nevertheless wanted to add that, when doing some amateur video
editing, i often increase the gamma when a scene lacks contrast, as
contrast and brigthness corrections would usually have more unpleasant
side effects (background blacks getting paler,...)

To me the picture appears more readable after that kind of correction. I
feel i can increase light areas without pushing dark ones too much, and
hence increase the contrast between those two.