[opendtv] Re: CBS Color without a wheel?

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 01:26:56 -0500

I got to speak with Stan Lebar, Westinghouse Apollo Camera Program Manager at the 2009 ETF Convention. We discussed the NASA video recovery system used to make simultaneous NTSC to send to the networks. I want to build such a converter using modern equipment not available in 1970.

I have already built a NASA type field sequential camera that makes great color. http://www.hawestv.com/moon_cam/moonctel3.htm

I'm working on the sequential-to-simultaneous converter
using several frame syncs and a switching breadboard to do the hard work before feeding the resulting RBG into an NTSC encoder.

Compared to the Apollo color video system, CBS sequential color does not cause color fringing or the extreme motion effects like those seen in original NASA footage.

The field rate for the NASA color camera was 60 fields per second; 20 red, 20 blue and 20 green. That equals only 20 color fields per second or 10 fully interlaced color frames.

In CBS color the field rate is 144 per second, 48 R,48 B,48 G making 48 color fields per second or 24 fully interlaced color frames per second.

The tape editing problems you point out would be difficult to deal with if there ever had been any CBS standard VTRs made.

Instead of doing it the hard way, I just edit, etc. in NTSC and convert the output to CBS color with the Hock Converter.
So in reality, CBS color is yet another transmission standard.

Cliff

On 12/8/2011 12:16 AM, John Shutt wrote:
Lest we forget, NASA used field sequential color video for
space-to-earth color video starting with the Apollo moon landings
through at least half of the Space Shuttle flights. So the CBS idea
didn't completely die with the adoption of NTSC/PAL/SECAM.

Field sequential color's major drawback is severe color edging on fast
moving objects, or rapid camera movements. (This can clearly be seen on
NASA moon landing color footage. ex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOGT9TBPYRU&feature=related) Sports would
look horrible with a field sequential color system.

Also, with three colors but only two video fields per frame, frame
accurate editing of field sequential videotape would also be about as
successful as SECAM editing. Then there is the problem of slo-motion and
frame-by-frame playback of sequential color videotape recordings.

All in all, a color video system with completely self contained full
color fields or frames was the right way to go.

John

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/orbiter/comm/inst/cctv.html