[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 23:11:27 -0500

At 9:15 AM -0800 3/2/12, Ron Economos wrote:
Craig, you should be happy to know that the interlace
coding tools MBAFF (Macroblock Adaptive Field/Frame)
and PAFF (Picture Adaptive Field/Frame) have been
abandoned in the new HEVC/H.265 compression standard.

Some of us graybeards are a little concerned (given that
there is 60+ years of interlaced content floating around).

To quote one of my old pals in the compression biz, "They
are all convinced that broadcast is a dinosaur and everything
will be point to point video streamed to progressive-only
handheld devices".

Some of us old dinosaurs were saying much the same thing 20 years ago...

;-)

But we were not, nor would I say today, that fixed location displays are going away.

But the BIG LCD displays that Bert is so enamored of all work better with progressive source.

What we were saying two decades ago, should provide some comfort to those concerned about legacy interlaced source material.

We were advocating ONLY progressive formats during the run up to the Grand Alliance in 1992-93. The logic was simple...

It would have been far more cost effective to put a few high quality deinterlacing devices in 1500+ TV stations than 100,000,000 new TVs.

Unfortunately most of those TV stations are still shooting local content using interlaced formats.

But deinterlacing techniques have evolved significantly over the past two decades, as one would expect given the tremendous increase in processing power available...

But you already know this, because all of those CPU cycles make it PRACTICAL to use much more sophisticated computational techniques in the new compression standards you are working on.