[opendtv] Re: ATSC STB availability?

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:23:19 -0600

Doug McDonald wrote:
> Bob Miller wrote:
>
>>For what it is worth I did get the 5th gen receiver today as promised. I
>>am going to set it up tonight and check it out.
>>
>>Bob Miller
>

> Well??? Well???? How did it work?

I tried getting a STB at WalMArt last night, just for kicks.
I'm not really sure I would have bough one if they had it,
probably yes, but who knows?

The woman in the department was the pinnacle example of cluelessness
that I have ever seen in a salesdroid. I do not exaggerate.

They had numerous HDTV "monitors", all showing DVDs, and one
sole Toshiba HDTV "receiver", turned off. She had no idea what
a STB was, and searched relentlessly in the section where things
like cables and antenna preamps etc. are displayed in their little
plastic bubbles. She had no idea how to get HDTV for the HDTV
monitors. She had no idea what HDTV was. She didn't even have
a clear idea what satellite reception was!! They apparently don't sell
satellite receivers, but clearly do sell the dishes themselves, since
there was a large pile of boxes containinb them!

Bizarre! I have only been in a WalMart 4 times, and am truly
amazed at how they became such a big deal, their whole operation is
so incredibly poor. I could spend hours telling of my
(ultimately successful) attempt to obtain Duco cement and
refridgerator magnets in our town ... and how when I finally
found them at WalMart, it took an hour to get them checked out.

Doug McDonald

Doug McDonald