[opendtv] Re: ATSC STB availability?

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:33:52 -0500

No they are not. That is why I am calling all over Asia looking for 5th
gen receiver manufacturers.

When I first heard of the LG 5th gen receiver the first thing I did was
call Hisense and see if they would make their receiver with a 5th gen
chip from LG for the simple reason that they had the lowest cost
receiver on the market at the time and I thought that LG's 5th gen
receivers would cost too much.

They said yes and sent me some of there current receivers. I tried them
out. They were pretty good but not good enough. They then changed their
mind about using 5th gen LG chips claiming that they would use the next
gen ATI chips which were better and cheaper and more available. I asked
if I could test one. Haven't heard back but ATI directed to to a few
companies who they said favored ATI and also agreed that ATI was better.
In contacting those companies I came to the conclusion that ATI was not
as good as LG 5th gen receivers as much because no one would co-operate
with me as anything. I did get direct reports from a number of people
who have tried both and said that there is no comparison between the two.

So I am back at LG 5th gen.

Bob Miller.