[opendtv] Re: ATSC STB availability?

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:45:49 -0500

It depends on your definition of "acceptably well."  If you're
interested in watching only ABC, yes, many of them are fine.  If you're
interested in watching CBS and are willing to have an antenna on a
tripod in the middle of the room carefully aimed, a few of them are
reliable.  Those same few will work fine picking up Fox, too, but only
from a completely different antenna location (on the floor in the
corner).  Changing channels between CBS and Fox, therefore, also
involves moving the antenna from the tripod to the floor.

Only the 5th-generation LG was able to receive all of the local stations
that showed up on a spectrum analyzer from a single antenna position and
orientation.  And it went beyond that.  It was truly plug-&-play.  Stick
a loop antenna on the input, and -- Presto! -- stable reception of just
about anything.

By the way, I feel that I should note that I think my apartment is not a
particularly difficult reception location.  NTSC's here are acceptable
with simple rabbit ears.  The 5th-generation LG has an equalizer window
of -50 to +50 us (4th generation is -10 to +30, 1st generation was -3 to
+10).  Someone recorded a 56 us ghost in Philadelphia.

TTFN,
Mark