[opendtv] Re: 5th generation Test

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:35:34 -0500

If the performance isn't solely in the equalization chip, then how do those
European standard STBs perform so well at such a low price point?  Couldn't
be the modulation scheme, could it?

If Zenith needed triple conversion and precision SAW filters to pull off
their "Schubin Magic" last summer, then ATSC is still doomed.

I was under the impression, as told to me during the Harris/PBS "DTV
Express" mobile seminar, way back in 1998, that a big part of the appeal of
VSB over QAM was the ability to use existing very cheap NTSC tuner modules
in set designs.  This now appears to have been overly optimistic, and again
we're waiting for 1999 COFDM performance from a 2005 ATSC receiver.  Only
now we should add the caveat "at a similar price point."

Where did I put that phone number for "The American Truck Driving School"?

John Shutt