[opendtv] Re: 5th generation Test

I sent the following message earlier this morning but somehow I didn't post,
so here it is again!

> Bob wrote:
>> I noticed that the LG tuner board display from the CES show that Mark
>> showed me again while I was at his place was larger than the other tuner
>> cards. It looks like the receiver we tested did not have this board but
>> a cheaper one though both had the LG 5th generation chip.

 As I and others have advised in earlier posts, good DTV receiver
performance
 begins with a well designed RF front end ; see Mr. Rhodes series of
 articles, some of which have been posted on this forum. The ATSC receiver
RP
 overlooks (actually ignores) this critical aspect, which has been a known
 requirement for good receiver design for many many years.

 The DTV broadcast system, with it's packed spectrum, has place a
significant
 burden upon the OTA receivers front end. However, this fact is ignored by
 manufacturers who continue to use the "dumbed down" receivers designed to
 operate in the benign cable environment. As I previously suggested might be
 the case, it appears that Zenith utilized a specially designed RF front end
 in the receiver used for  the 5th Gen demonstrations - possibly never to be
 seen again in a consumer product.