[opendtv] Re: The "real" problem with OFDM in the U.S.

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:37:46 -0500

Doug McDonald wrote:

> And people want those extra stations!

Absolutely right. I guess Craig not being an OTA user
doesn't intuitively get some of these basics. One of
the advantages of having overlapping signals is that
OTA users get the extra choice they need so badly. I
regularly record programs from the Balt UPN affiliate,
for example, because off-prime-time they have good
stuff that the local UPN does not carry.

And I get a better signal from the Balt CBS affiliate
than I get from the DC CBS. So I regularly record
shows transmitted by them, in preference over the
local one.

In a competitive market such as OTA TV, it pays for
each station to provide the best possible signal. With
DTT, that would translate to installing gap fillers,
for example. Competition is supposed to benefit
consumers, right?