[opendtv] Re: 5th generation Test

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:38:33 -0500

This is what we have been saying FOREVER! The issue is the entirety of
the receiver implementation. It is NOT simply about one thing...

Equalization (LG/Zenith 5th GEN is good at this) is a requirement. But
not alone...
Sensitivity is important (What is the range? What kind of AGC? What is
the NF?...etc.)
Overload capability (As Charley Rhodes would say "What is the IP3
performace?"...etc.)
Selectivity (What type [Single/Double/other] tuner?, Filtering type? At
what stage?...etc.)

...and a multitude of other issues. This is the reason that the ATSC
A/74 Receiver Recommended Practice (Receiver Performance Guidelines)
document is insufficient (IMHO).

Also, implementation (looking at reception being a result of the entire
system) of CE 909 (Smart Antenna Technology) would be a real bonus!

Get the word out. Not all receivers are created equal!!! (no matter what
the marketing guys may say is inside...)

Bob Miller wrote:

>Our latest test of a receiver using LG's 5th generation chip but not
>made by LG was a major disappointment. It seems that having the LG 5th
>generation chip is not what made the LG prototype we tested last summer
>work so well.
>
>We took it over to Mark Schubin's apartment and he can tell you what his
>experience with it was.
>
>It was on a par with the Hisense receiver we have /IMO/.
>
>I noticed that the LG tuner board display from the CES show that Mark
>showed me again while I was at his place was larger than the other tuner
>cards. It looks like the receiver we tested did not have this board but
>a cheaper one though both had the LG 5th generation chip.
>
>Which brings up the idea that maybe this LG board is too expensive for
>LG to use in making STB's. Maybe they can bury the cost in integrated
>HDTV sets or maybe they themselves are not using this board in their
>integrated HDTV sets either. At least two models advertise that they use
>5th generation chips.
>
>But the simple fact that an STB or an integrated set is using a 5th
>generation chip doesn't say enough about its performance.
>
>We are looking into getting the full LG 5th generation tuner in a
>receiver at the moment.
>
>Shades of 1999, this can go on forever.
>
>Bob Miller

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken Director, Advanced Technology

***********************************
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net
===================================

"America will never be destroyed
from the outside. If we falter
and lose our freedoms, it will be
because we destroyed ourselves."

~ ~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~ ~
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.