[openbeosnetteam] Re: FreeBSD vs. our stack

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 11:09:53 +0200 CEST

"Joseph Liu" <froseph@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > The only things that we definitely need to keep are the
> > net_stack_driver, the ethernet legacy code, and the userland
> > testing
> > stuff (BONE only). The ethernet code probably needs most of the
> > work
> > and should be better separated from the rest.
> Are you proposing to mix and match FBSD code and current Haiku code
> with regards to the netstack internals? Would it be easier or less
> confusing to start with FBSD and port it entirely to Haiku?

Sorry for my confusing mails :-)
Here's another one:
Since our stack seems still to be very BSD like, and already is more or
less integrated with Haiku (ie. module architecture, net_stack_driver,
userland testing stack, ...), and doesn't use a porting layer, I think
it can help to keep it around, and use it as a base for the porting
effort. Maybe some components can be kept or fixed, I don't know yet,
but we'll see while working on it.

Oliver, I won't have much time until monday evening (holidays and all),
but if possible I'd like to start working on this on tuesday. What's
your opinion on all of this?

Andrew, if you don't start to tell us what you want to work on, and
what you have done so far, it'll be hard to work on this together. We
probably won't kill you (at first ;-)), and mistakes are allowed as
well, there is no need to hesitate.

Bye,
   Axel.