[openbeosnetteam] Re: FreeBSD vs. our stack

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:46:20 +0200

Oliver asked:

> Talking about the userland/kernel netstacks, I wonder if it should
> be possible to run BONE's netstack our own userland stack in
> parallel (using two separate network cards of course. I tried
> experimenting with that but whenever I started net_stack_tester, the
> BONE-stack stopped working.
> I'm not sure at all, but shouldn't this work, at least in theory?

It should work, and used to, not just theorically.

> Or do the two stacks clash at a certain point?

Nope, they should not.
I guess something break.
IIRC, we define the root of our network stack modules "names" in
hearders/private/net/net_module.h. Except when it build for Haiku, it's
"obos_network". Do you build the userland stack modules for haiku target?

BTW, maybe we could just define this root always to "haiku_network",whatvever
the target, until we reach R1?

Another issue could be in the way we try to open every /dev/net/*/* from the
ethernet interface module. Several R5/BONE drivers wrongly allow being opened
several times...

- Philippe

PS: sadly I was offline all the week-end while you guys were hardworking on the
netstack. So far, I agree on what was discussed on the roadmap. But stay tune,
I could maybe have some points to share... and eventually a (small) task to
applied for.