[openbeosnetteam] Re: FreeBSD vs. our stack

  • From: Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 00:43:44 +0200

Oliver Tappe wrote:

Hm, I'm a bit confused... what exactly is the "ethernet legacy code"?

It's the code that loads the BeOS ethernet drivers in /dev/net/...
The netstack itself only knows real interface modules. The legacy code consists
of the ethernet module and some code within the core netstack module.

Talking about legacy, when trying to grasp the differences between the
legacy/network headers and the corresponding posix versions, I found that
there is only *one* difference (the legacy version of sys/select.h doesn't
provide pselect on non-haiku targets). So what is the reasoning behind
having these legacy headers?

I found the BONE headers very ugly. Also, we had very ugly #ifdef checks for
libnet.so (apps/libs building for R5...). I wanted to have a clean netstack.
That's why I introduced libnetwork.so. It unifies the current libbind.so and
libsocket.so and might also add more. I wanted to import only slightly modified
FreeBSD headers. I'm just pedantic when it comes to cleanness... :)

Good night,
Waldemar