[openbeosnetteam] Re: FreeBSD vs. our stack

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 01:03:10 +0200

Quoting Andrew Galante <haiku.galante@xxxxxxxxx>:

> The machine only has 256MB in it (less because of shared video ram).  It
> gets to the BeOS boot screen, but reboots before the atom icon lights up.
> I'm running Max PE if that has anything to do with it.

Could you try the safer install path:
- BeOS R5 PE (from http://bebits.com/app/2680)
- Whatever driver you need to access Internet from BeOS
- BeOS DevTools (from http://bebits.com/app/2680)
- BONE (from wherever you get it ;-))
- Gcc 2.95.3-beos-041202 (from http://bebits.com/app/4011)

I'm not confident about Max PE, maybe others could help you.

> > the network stack in Haiku itself, instead of R5?
> >
> > Sure, the turnaround times will just be a little longer. For example,
> > you could develop under Linux, and test the networking stack running in
> > Haiku under emulation.
>

> I'm installing gcc 2.95.3 on one of my Linux machines to try that.

Please don't do that (in BeOS coders lingua, we say B_DONT_DO_THAT!).
Haiku SVN already have a haiku/buildtools tree that contains the right 2.95.3
Gcc version already patched for crosscompiling for BeOS platforms.
The file at haiku/haiku/trunk/ReadMe explain how to build/develop on Haiku from
Linux. Check it at
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/haiku/haiku/trunk/ReadMe?rev=15384&view=markup.

When followed, these instructions works fine.

- Philippe Houdoin.