[openbeos-midi] Re: MIDI parser source (bytestream->MIDI messages)

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:44:59 +0100

Martijn wrote:
> Why not write a midi2 kit client for this. I once write one for the
> AMT8/Unitor8 (or any other (multiport) serial interface). One
> could write a kernel module for it I suppose, but I don't think
> a seperate process should hurt performance that bad for it to
> be an issue. And for multiport (using 0xf5) you will have to parse
> and I don't think that should be in the kernel when it is not
> necessary.

That's possible, of course. If I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what
Christian is doing. Unfortunately, it can be a little annoying if you have
to run several different applications just to use your MIDI equipment.

It would have been much better if the midi_server used userland add-ons just
like the Media Kit does. Then the midi_server would no longer have to talk
to device drivers from /dev/midi either, as there would be an add-on for
this. Unfortunately, that's not how it works right now and I don't think
we'll change that for OpenBeOS R1 either.

> I will try to find the code for the application and if I do
> you can have the copyright as I'll most likely be ashamed of it :)

Cool, any kind of Midi Kit code is welcome :-)

Matthijs