[openbeos-midi] Re: MIDI parser source (bytestream->MIDI messages)

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 14:13:22 +0100

Christian wrote:
> Maybe we could create a libmiditoolkit, which contains enhanced functions.
> This could be migrated into libmidi2.so in OBOS R2, requiring only an
> exchange of headers and a recompile.

Truthfully, I'd like to get rid of libmidi2 altogether and replace it with
something better (libmidi3!). The idea of having multiple MIDI nodes that
can send and/or receive data is great, but the rest of the kit has many
problems. Some you have already ran into, others you will soon :-)

I put some design notes on my website once, but took that down when I moved
to another ISP. That stuff will also find a new home on the new OpenBeOS
website some day.

However, I am not a big MIDI expert and, to be honest, have no interest in
developing a new Midi Kit. So if you feel like making your own super API,
here's your chance :-) There is no reason why one couldn't write a new Midi
Kit as a replacement for the current one, because the kit is completely
isolated from the rest of the operating system.

Food for thought :-)

-Matthijs