[openbeos-midi] MIDI Keyboards and BeOS?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <mrcode1234@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:57:00 -0700 (PDT)

So, I'm planning to create a BeOS MIDI soft synth and eventually try my
hand at creating some music.  Yet I don't own a MIDI keyboard at this
point.  Since a basic one isn't too expensive, I would like to buy one
soon (if for no other reason than to help me test my soft synth.)

Given this, does anyone has some advice?  I went to my local Best Buy
(which is big electronics, musics, games, etc. store for those not from
the US) and checked out the collection of MIDI keyboards that they had.
 The "nicest" was the $300 Yamaha DGX-200, which is a 76 key touch
sensitive keyboard with many voices, songs, a pitch bend wheel, and
other niceties.  There also was the $200 Yamaha PSR-290, which is much
like the DGX-200, except it only has 61 keys and no pitch bend wheel.
They also had some really simple ones for around $100 (but they still
had MIDI in and outs.)  I'm sure these are all far from professional
quality, but for now I don't need that.

Besides these standard kinds of keyboards, there are the USB-based
keyboards like from Evolution and M Audio which I have just looked at
online.  These have no voices or anything, but are used strictly to
send MIDI messages and control various pieces of software.  These seem
neat, but the first question I have is can they work with BeOS?

On that note, what kind of support is there for the standard keyboards
like the Yamahas mentioned above?  I suppose this depends on the sound
card driver?

If anyone has any advice they would like to share regarding MIDI
keyboards and BeOS, please let me know.

Ryan Leavengood

http://search.yahoo.com