[openbeos-midi] Re: MIDI Keyboards and BeOS?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <mrcode1234@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:57:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- Crain Greg <greg.crain@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also, you will need an midi-soundcard interface.  I don't know how
> much they cost, or even where to get them because I made my own for
> about $10 in basic parts.

Yeah I was looking at the connections on my sound card (SB Audigy) and
the MIDI ports are on some combo "MIDI/Gameport" 15 pin extension
connector.  I guess the part you are referring to connects that 15 pin
connector to the actual 5 pin MIDI connectors?

I just looked on the SoundBlaster site and they have one of these for
$20.  I'll probably make one myself as well...I just need the PIN-out
of the 15 pin port...

> I agree with what Philippe said, pitchbend is nice and it is very
> dependant on the soundcard type and driver.  I wouldn't worry about
> the number of keys too much, until you become a better keyboard
> player, IMHO.

Yeah I'm no expert on the keyboard, but I would want something that can
grow with me...some of the smaller USB-based keyboards only have 25
keys!  But hey, maybe that would be enough...my main plans for music
are just techno-oriented.

> On another note, I am developing a SBLive Midi add-on driver for the
> R5.  I got midi-out working already, and am working on midi-in.  I'm
> not sure how both drivers setting interrupt registers is going to
> work out.     If you have an SBLive and want to try midi-out let me
> know and I will send you the driver to try.

As I said above, I've got the Audigy...I assume the driver you describe
above will work with that?

Do you Yahoo!?