[openbeos-midi] Re: MIDI Keyboards and BeOS?

  • From: Crain Greg <greg.crain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:52:11 -0400

None of my (2) keyboards have velocity or aftertouch, and I really miss it.  (
one of my keyboards is a Korg Poly61M, 1st generation midi cira-early 80's...
midi ch 1 only,  4 channel polyphonic.. what a dinosaur!).

Also, you will need an midi-soundcard interface.  I don't know how much they
cost, or even where to get them because I made my own for about $10 in basic
parts.

I agree with what Philippe said, pitchbend is nice and it is very dependant on
the soundcard type and driver.  I wouldn't worry about the number of keys too
much, until you become a better keyboard player, IMHO.

On another note, I am developing a SBLive Midi add-on driver for the R5.  I got
midi-out working already, and am working on midi-in.  I'm not sure how both
drivers setting interrupt registers is going to work out.     If you have an
SBLive and want to try midi-out let me know and I will send you the driver to
try.

Greg Crain
gsc70@xxxxxxxxxxx