[openbeos-midi] Re: MIDI Keyboards and BeOS?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <mrcode1234@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:40:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> All these USB devices did are sending MIDI events over USB bus.

I figured as much, but I'm sure USB makes it more complicated.

> When we'll have a usb_midi drivers supporting also the whole
> propriery-but-
> standard-in-fact USB MIDI devices outhere, you should be able to use
> them too.
> There a userland USB MIDI driver on BeBits, maybe it can works
> already.

I have a friend with one of the Evolution keyboards, maybe I can borrow
it and see if it works.  Then maybe I'll buy my own.

Does anyone have any idea if Zeta will have more support for things
like this?

> Totally.
> MIDI use a derived serial interface. While MIDI events can be read
> (and write)
> from your MIDI port by BeOS, any MIDI devices will works
> with any BeOS MIDI Kit softwares.

Well right now I have an SB Audigy in my Be machine, so I guess I need
to talk to Greg Crain about getting MIDI-in support :)

> Last advice : having a pitch bend control is a plus usefull to stress
> a MIDI soft synth... sensitive keyboard are a must, but an expensive
one.

Yes that is exactly what I figured.  I could always test the pitch bend
and velocity processing with software, but it seems that having an
actual hardware device sending those messages would be better.  Also
another reason I want the hardware is to test latency.  It seems like
it should be pretty easy to test latency by just punching the keyboard
keys.  But then again I imagine having software that sends MIDI events
from QWERTY keyboard presses would work as well...there just wouldn't
be velocity changes.  Also the CPU load from the MIDI sending software
might have an effect on the latency of the soft synth...but maybe I'm
over-estimating how much CPU the soft synth will use.

Ryan

http://search.yahoo.com