[openbeos-midi] Re: MIDI Keyboards and BeOS?

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:23:52 +0200 (CEST)

> Besides these standard kinds of keyboards, there are the USB-based
> keyboards like from Evolution and M Audio which I have just looked at
> online.  These have no voices or anything, but are used strictly to
> send MIDI messages and control various pieces of software.  These seem
> neat, but the first question I have is can they work with BeOS?

All these USB devices did are sending MIDI events over USB bus.
When we'll have a usb_midi drivers supporting also the whole propriery-but-
standard-in-fact USB MIDI devices outhere, you should be able to use them too.
There a userland USB MIDI driver on BeBits, maybe it can works already.

> On that note, what kind of support is there for the standard keyboards
> like the Yamahas mentioned above?  I suppose this depends on the sound
> card driver?

Totally.
MIDI use a derived serial interface. While MIDI events can be read (and write)
from your MIDI port by BeOS, any MIDI devices will works
with any BeOS MIDI Kit softwares.

Last advice : having a pitch bend control is a plus usefull to stress a MIDI
soft synth... sensitive keyboard are a must, but an expensive one.

-Philippe.