[ola] Re: Moving on...

  • From: JoAnna Coleman <joannac@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 18:22:12 +0000

Heidi, January is a difficult month, I have always felt like this. I am right
there with you.

I am seriously considering finishing the semester in December and doing a
group-project for team building during the 2 weeks in January before the end of
the semester next year.

How have you progressed this year? - I feel like my kids are speaking and
understanding more than in years past, but we have "covered" WAY less material
(ie. grammar and vocabulary)
 Like many of you have said, this is the give and take of OWL.

What are your students working on? Right now my second years are working on
asking/answering questions, describing, extending sentences and using
connectors and fillers to keep the conversation going
Topics we are discussing currently are what they did over the break and daily
routine activities

How have you brought in new topics and created interesting progressions?
I have a really hard time not having a plan and just using the students as the
curriculum. As things come up in class, we learn that new vocabulary, but I
have a difficult time coming up with progressions based off of those moments.

Can people weigh in about using units versus being against using units?
Again, something else that is hard for me to let go of - kids like the
structure (and so do I!) of a study guide with a list of objectives for the
unit - this is what you are going to learn and be asked to do - this is where
we are going - so I have tried to maintain that with the OWL goals and the
ACTFL profiency levels - this is where you are and this is what we are working
towards.

For semester finals - students will be doing an oral interview next week with
me and then on the day of the final, there will be a multiple choice exam with
listening/reading based on topics and functions we've learned and a writing
portion where they will answer questions

JoAnna Coleman
Spanish Teacher
Wilson High School
503-916-5280 ext. 75231