[ola] Re: Moving on...

  • From: Stel Schmalz <sschmalz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 13:13:23 -0500

Heidi-

The "vortex" of cold has spurred good discussions in my classes.

A few groups wanted to talk about activities that you can do in the cold/in
the winter.  That could go many different ways- seasons, weather, clothing
needed for that weather, typical activities, etc...

Some of my groups polled each other on the different winter activities- Do
you like it or not, and are now in groups of 4 graphing out their results.
 They will then present the results to the class.

another group went the route of creating "suggestions" of things you need
to remember when you go out in the cold.  THey are creating signs to put
outside of the classroom so everyone stays safe.  This came when they
started talking about problems that are created by the extreme cold.

I also plan on showing my class this video and I'm hoping this will spur a
discussion about their Mothers/fathers- physical descriptions,
 personalities, things they do around the house, why are they fabulous,
maybe olympics, sports, etc....  I'm hoping the olympics thread comes up so
that I can give them some background vocab now that I can later recycle in
February, when they are really going to want to talk about the olympics.

The spanish version only shows summer olympics.  The english version shows
winter olympics.  My only problem with these is that I can't get through
them w/out crying!

Spanish:
http://zachary-jones.com/zambombazo/espacio-publicitario-pg-gracias-mama/

English:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57e4t-fhXDs

There are also some articles on NULU that work with both themes.  There's
one about the town of Hell (MI) freezing over, and there's a funny one
about a mother who lied to her child and told her she wasn't really her
mother in order to motivate her to work harder.  These are not beginner
articles, although I have copied/pasted and simplified in the past.

I love the idea sharing!  Thanks to all who post things-  It's great to
have so many different ways of looking at things.

Stel